Tuesday, July 09, 2013

When the Flooring Measure Guy Is Horrified....

You might have an expensive flooring issue. 

The flooring guy showed up at my place exactly when I did - we pulled up to the driveway at the same time.  He walked in the front door and paused, and groaned, and said, "Angles.  So MANY angles."  He had to measure and load and draw the place on his tablet, and the angles made it take much, much longer than a nice, normal rectangular rooms space.   It took over an hour, and he groaned and muttered quite a bit.  I didn't interrupt him, and kept the dogs out of the way. He was suffering. 

He produced a very detailed flooring plan, and said that it was a good thing that I'd requested a measure for tile. I can fall back to carpet in the carpeted areas without any complications; they can do it off this measure, but if I'd requested a measure for carpet and then considered tile, they'd have to measure all over again. 

So, we'll see what the final number is for wood-look porcelain tile throughout.  I suspect I can do 25 year warranty carpet for 2/3 of the cost, but we shall see.

I am not kidding when I say that this place is all angles and high ceilings. I'm sitting in the guest room/home office, and it has five walls and a ceiling that goes from nine to probably fourteen feet, and a generous walk-in closet.  I love it because it's so not boring and square, but, yeah, tile installation?  Normally, 10% is factored in for overage.  In this place? 20% is probably more reasonable, for cuts and corners and angles, oh my. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought of you when I was reading Apartment Therapy:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/rethinking-laminate-sustainable-countertop-design-from-wilsonart-191204